This is not the official Pardus
This web site aims to gather documentation, code and other materials produced by Pardus Project for archiving purposes.
Pardus was a Linux based operating system developed from scratch, which had its own packaging system, unique configuration manager and installer. Project was started by Turkish National Research Institute of Electronics and Cryptology (UEKAE), a division of the Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey (TÜBİTAK).
The project was welcomed by the open source community all around the world, thanks to its innovations, ease of use and desktop polish.
Ladislav Bodnar, the creator of DistroWatch, wrote
in his round-up of Linux/*nix in 2006 that Pardus is one of the distros he was most impressed by that year "... thanks to unique package management ideas, innovative start-up sequence and general desktop polish ..."
Dmitri Popov, an author of Linux User & Developer, titled his review
of Pardus 2011 Beta as the most exciting distro of the year.
- Live CD 1.0 Live CD-only fork of Gentoo released on 4 February 2005 with Linux kernel 2.6.10
- Live CD 1.1 Minor update. Released on 5 May 2005.
- 1.0 was released on 2005-12-26. First release that could be installed on hard drives. It included K Desktop Environment 3.5.0 and Linux kernel 126.96.36.199.
- 2007 was released on 2006-12-18 with K Desktop Environment 3.5.5 and Linux kernel 188.8.131.52.
- 2007.1 was released on 2007-03-16 with K Desktop Environment 3.5.6 and Linux kernel 184.108.40.206.
- 2007.2 was released on 2007-07-12 with K Desktop Environment 3.5.7 and Linux kernel 220.127.116.11.
- 2007.3 included the Linux 18.104.22.168 kernel, OpenOffice.org, internet tools (browser, e-mail, instant messaging, etc.), multimedia and graphics tools (video player, music player, etc.), games, and many other applications. COMAR is the configuration manager developed in-house, and Tasma is the custom K Desktop Environment system configuration tool.
- 2008 was released on 2008-06-27 with K Desktop Environment 3.5.9 and Linux kernel 2.6.10.
- 2008.1 included the Linux 22.214.171.124 kernel. K Desktop Environment has been updated to 3.5.10, along with other important infrastructure components: Python 2.5, Java 6, Mozilla Firefox 3.0.1, OpenOffice.org 2.4.1.
- 2008.2 was released on 2009-01-31 with K Desktop Environment 3.5.10 and Linux kernel 126.96.36.199.
- 2009 included the 188.8.131.52 kernel. Pardus 2009 used the KDE Plasma Desktop environment and included OpenOffice 3.1, Python 2.6.2, Mozilla Firefox 3.5, Gimp 2.6.6 and also applications like Kontact, Kopete, Kaffeine, K3b, and Amarok.
- 2009.1 was released on 2010-01-16 with KDE Plasma Desktop 4.3.4 and Linux kernel 184.108.40.206.
- 2009.2 was released on 2010-06-04 with KDE Plasma Desktop 4.4.4 and Linux kernel 220.127.116.11.
- 2011 included the 2.6.37 kernel. Pardus 2011 comes with the latest KDE Software Compilation, KDE SC 4.5.5. The base packages also contains numerous backports and fixes which will improve the stability of your desktop experience significantly. Also included Clementine, K3b, Kontact, Kopete. Pardus 2011 came with Firefox 4.0 as the default browser.
- 2011.1 included the Linux Kernel 18.104.22.168, KDE Plasma Desktop 4.6.5, LibreOffice 22.214.171.124, Mozilla Firefox Web Browser 5.0, Xorg 1.9.5, Gimp 2.6.11, Python 2.7.1, GCC 4.5.3, and Glibc 2.12. With this release numerous bugs have been fixed, 64-bit Skype and Wine packages are now in the 2011 stable repository, YALI has a System Rescue mode, and a 2009-2011 distribution upgrade interface was announced.
- 2011.2 was released on 2011-09-19, includes LibreOffice 3.4.3. Last release using PİSİ package management system.
Due to some organizational changes, the distribution is now based on Debian GNU/Linux and no longer maintains its core technologies since late 2012.